Subject: Re: [vserver] Guest root passwords
From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver@muh.at>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:34:59 +0100

 Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:34:59 +0100
Hi there,

on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 6:11:19 PM there was posted:

JASI> It appears not setting it disables root access other than via the host
JASI> but this is only our casual observation.  What really happens if we do
JASI> not set the root password upon guest creation? Thanks - John

"Root" rights are not only granted by login/ssh login but also by suid
on programs etc. Some progrems need to have "root" (uid 0) privileges
on startup (httpd for example) and later then drops these rights. But
there's always the opposite way round as well - so there may still
programs exist which may gain "root" (uid 0) privileges within the
vserver guest context. That should not bother you too much i think, as
the guest context "root" process still will not be able to access
other context's or the host system itself unless you add further then
default capacities to your guest.

To get back to what I guess you want: For your wishes and goals I
think removing the root encrypted password from guest's /etc/passwd
and guests /etc/shadow (second portion of "root" lines) as well as
removing /root/.ssh directory and contents (if exists) should fullfill
your needs.

--
regards 'n greez,

Guenther Fuchs