Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver vlan setups on gentoo
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:09:58 +0200

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:40:12AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> i have this tutorial which is very informative but i would have to convert
> from debian into gentoo configs
>
>  http://siggisiggibangbang.com/linux/linux-vserver-with-vlan
>

> is there a gentoo-specific tutorial or anything with a bit more information on
> placing vservers onto a multiple vlan structure?
>
> one question i can't find an answer for (maybe it doesn't need one?)
> is can multiple vservers share the same vlan as they can share the
> same netblock in normal networking (eg 6 vservers on 2 different hosts

sure, an IP on a vlan device is quite the same as an IP on
a non-vlan one to Linux-VServer .. the only difference is
that vlans have specific support in util-vserver, namely
that those vlans will be created if required ...

> running various ips each on xxx.xxx.39.xxx/24? some vservers each run
> ip space on multiple /24 networks.
>
> we have a very successful multiple nic/multiple network setup
> running but we have a need to reduce to a single nic in each
> replacement/updated machine which is driving me insane since the
> existing vservers use ips from 5 different networks (5 nics/5
> switchports) on each host. to make matters worse, i have little time
> for bench development on this and have to convert running production
> machines within a matter of days :(

if you think about consolidating several separate network
setups into a single host Linux-VServer solution then
multiple routing tables are the way to go ... doesn't really
matter if you put those IPs on separate interfaces or on the
same old eth0

HTH,
Herbert