Subject: vserver git server and misc. thoughts
From: Adam Majer <adamm@zombino.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:35:16 -0500

Hey all,

Would it be helpful if we actually have a public GIT server setup and
have the patches there instead one giant, unworkable monster patch? I'm
willing to set this up provided people will use it. Or at least people
send patches and commits to it instead of that kernel-diff-monster!

As to paying Herbert to port vserver to latest kernel, no offense, but
that may not be a good idea unless you want to hire Herbert. I've seen
this already in other projects and it did not work out so well. For
example, grsecurity. As far as I can tell, development stalled there.
Kind of like it stalled in vserver.

If you are willing to hire a vserver developer to get things moving,
please do. But one-time "contract" doesn't work long term.

So, either,

 1. people start paying people to get vserver work done, or
 2. people start to volunteer time to get things done.

Either way works. But having pledge drives (or what seem to be pledge
drives) just indicates the project is in its death-throws.

Now, regarding actual work on stuff. Adrian Bunk has been maintaining
the 2.6.16.x kernel tree and will continue to maintain it for a bit. Is
it feasible to backport vs.2.2 branch back to that stable tree?

- Adam