Subject: Re: [vserver] Request For Comments - VServer web presence http://test.songshu.org
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 01:16:05 -0600

On Sat February 28 2009, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 01:43:42PM +0100, randall wrote:
> > noticed a huge amount of mails on this subject this morning and
> > its good to see many idea's, please allow to me to be the first to
> > introduce a mockup, i did this in the last hour so its far from
> > finished but at least its an idea.
>
> > Lets see what we have already and try to keep it simple and make use
> > of the right tools for each specific task, at the moment there is a
> > great wiki with good content. Have used it myself once and its easy
> > to contribute new content.
>
> > wiki.linux-vserver.org
>
> > maybe someone might be willing to give some thought on the layout of the
> > data structure as it is displayed on the wiki frontpage only with up to
> > date finished content to make sure a first arriver can more easily find
> > what he (or she) is looking for.
>
> > ====maybe also ====
> > a simpler page
> > <code>
> > explaining the wiki syntax
> > </code>
>
> > forum.linux-vserver.org
>
> > are we willing to support this??
>
> I don't have a problem with a forum ...
>
> combining the forum with the mailinglist would make it
> a lot easier to follow and reply though ... i.e. the
> best solution would be if the mailing list (including
> archives) would exist as forum content and posting
> something on the forum would show up on the mailing
> list (maybe with special tags or on a special list)
> too ... no idea if that is easy to do though :)

I am pretty sure that is a standard feature with what I am
working on - from the documentation - - I haven't personally
integrated a mailing list as a forum.  You know about O.S. docs...

But yes, if it does the basic integration, the FreeTags and
categories will then work cross-section.

On my list to test.

> > the mailing list is great but many new users prefer a forum to ask for
> > support and can browse the subjects without having to sign up first
> > when investigating various visualization techniques, the benefit of an
> > active forum is that it clearly indicates an active community and that
> > would be a good sign. Also the most frequently asked questions would
> > give us some clear idea on how to improve the documentation.
>
> > a simple phpbb installation would be sufficient for this, i could set
> > this up later.
> >
> > www.linux-vserver.org
> >
> > the front page of the project, i have setup a simple wordpress example
> > on http://test.songshu.org (just set up the dns so be patient if it does
> > not resolve at once) not finished and needs some more work to make it
> > slick (have to go now for social obligations so will work on that tomorrow)
>
> looks good to me, even with lynx, maybe some minor tweaks
> like making the menu bar a little less high, and of course
> really nice would be to add some aqua like effect to logo
> as well as menu bar, I think :)

Set your total browser size not larger than 1024x600 - -
The most common size of the light-weight Netbooks for road warriors.

Then do a visual appraisal of the balance between logo/banner and
usable text - -
Nobody in today's world presses "page down" short of death. ;)

> > maybe we can set up a colour scheme idea for all Vserver sites?
> > maybe get some nice artwork to go where the flower images are
> > right now or loose the headed images all together.
> > (anybody creative for designing the image(s)?)

> > the frontpage right know is reserved for "big" announcements, maybe a
> > nice job for Bertl to do a bi-weekly or so update when import things
> > happen
>
> yep, can do that, at least it could be something like a
> Linux-VServer Blog ...
>
>  "nothing happened this week, so I ported 2.3.x to
>   the lates release candidate ... what a mess, but
>   see for yourself here ... "
>
> > About
> > some content from wikipedia right now but it should have some more
> > simpler explanation, think of appealing to a CEO with nice pictures.
>
> > Distro Support
> > a list of all distro's that lead to a small page of that distro in
> > wordpress explaining that "it is supported" or "don't worry its simple
> > to patch" with a link to a distro specific landing page on the wiki
> > giving some practical installation instructions for each of that
> > distro's release.

Use the "Categories" feature - - it will let you tie pages from any
of the various sections (wiki, blog, article, forum, etc, etc) into
into a "Table of Contents" sort of page(s).

Similar to FreeTags in that Categories are not bound to a section.

> basically we support _all_ distros, but yeah, pages
> like those on the wiki (installing Linux-VServer on
> debian/ubuntu/wossname are definitely useful, as long
> as then end with the installation procedure)
>
> > (maybe we can find some people making/updating these distro wiki
> > pages)
>
> IMHO a good idea would be to provide 'icons' on the
> main (or at least on the installation page) for the
> major or specifically nice/problematic distros, so
> that e.g. the alpine fan recognizes her/his distro ...

Just put the icons in the images gallery, link to them from
wherever you are working.

> hint: that could be work done by the distro maintainer(s)

Yeah, like you expect a code maintainer to do documentation?
Code cutters generally don't do those sort of things. ;)

Mike