Subject: COW links, beyond vservers?
From: Martin Fick <mogulguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:21:40 -0700 (PDT)

Are there any docs explaining how COW links works.
I'm sorry if there are, I have looked and can't seem
to find anything more than a mention of them and
vunify/vhashify.  Are there any tools to create and
manipulate COW links manually without using the
vunify/hashify programs?

Essentially, I would like to create and use COW links
outside of vservers (they are a great idea).  I
realize that I probably need a vserver kernel for this
(I use vservers also, so no problem).  But this seems
like a very useful feature even without vservers.

Are there any thoughts about trying to integrate this
feature as a separate feature into the mainline linux
kernel?  It hardly seems like something that only
vserver users would want.  Is it a huge patch to
enable COW links or would it be something minor that
might be accepted easily?

Thanks,

-Martin

Be a better friend, newshound, and