Subject: Guest network interface gone
From: Chris.Leeworthy@corusgroup.com
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:37:56 +0000

 Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:37:56 +0000

Hi,

I have recently started using vserver (so forgive any newbie type
questions!).

There was a network failure, which was fixed within a few minutes and the
host machine re-established network comms without a problem.  However the
vserver guest that was running did not.

We are using kernel-vserver-2.6.19.1-1mdv built on Mandriva 2008 64 bit
edition.

When I got into the guest an ifconfig returned no information.

I attempted to restart the network and got the following errors

[root@XXXXXXXXXXX /]# service network restart
Shutting down loopback interface:                               [  OK  ]
error: "Operation not permitted" setting key "net.ipv4.tcp syncookies"
Bringing up loopback interface:  Device lo does not seem to be present,
delaying initialization.
                                                                [FAILED]
Bringing up interface eth0:  bnx2 device eth0 does not seem to be present,
delaying initialization.
                                                                [FAILED]

The only way to get the guest to 'see' the network again was to restart it.

Following another thread I had seen about guest network interface
disappearing I did try setting the promote secondaries flag with sysctl,
but this made no difference.

Is there some way I can persuade the guest to recover after the network has
been interrupted and returned or am I stuck with restarting the vservers
after a network outage?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities