Subject: Re: [vserver] Share Single Ip between guests
From: Adam Majer <adamm@zombino.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:01:04 -0600

Oliver Welter wrote:
> Even if Daniel gave the answer already, I will explain the problem - we
> have an application based on Java that works similar to ftp, but as the
> connection is secured via SSL (and I dont know the exact protocol), I
> can not read the traffic and setup additional rules to route the RMI
> connections to the correct host. I might cover that assigning the usual
> port ranges that the app uses, but I consider this a bad hack, as it
> will break connections of other services that accidential use these
> ports. Besides, the application autmagically uses its own listening
> adress in the negotiation with the client which than gets confused as
> the receviced connection paramters do not match the expected IP.

Then you must,

  * get more IP addresses, one per vserver, or
  * write an intermediate service that does the SSL authentication part
and forwards unencrypted to other vserver(s), or
  * put all the stuff services on one vserver.

I would also suggest using IPv6 but then IPv6 in vserver is not there yet...

Sharing the same IP address between vservers is like sharing the same IP
addresses between different machines on a LAN. It just does not work.

- Adam