Subject: Re: [vserver] how to use more than one IP in the same interface in guest with new config
From: "Ben Green" <ben@bristolwireless.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:34:31 -0000

 Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:34:31 -0000
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:09:39 -0000, Carlos Carvalho <carlos@fisica.ufpr.br> wrote:

> I thought about just creating another directory in
> /etc/vservers/<guest>/interfaces, and setting dev to something like
> eth0:0 and ip to the new one. Will this work?

No need, use the different sub folders of the interfaces/ directory, interfaces/0/ interfaces/1/
etc. Don't bother to set eth0:0, just use eth0 for each of them and all the IPs will
be attached to the one interface. You can see them inside the guest with

$ip addr ls

though you won't be able to see them with ifconfig, it will all work fine.

If you did want to create a eth0:0 then two things are necessary, firstly you need to
make sure there is a eth0:0 on the host machine, then you need to specify a "name" file
in the guests interfaces directory, so you'd have files with the following (example)
contents:

/etc/vservers/example/interfaces/0/dev = eth0
/etc/vservers/example/interfaces/0/prefix = 24
/etc/vservers/example/interfaces/0/ip = 192.168.0.45
/etc/vservers/example/interfaces/0/name = 0

This is all unnecessary for have multiple IPs on one vserver interface though, use the
method at the start of my reply.

--
 From Ben Green