Subject: Re: [vserver] end of the vserver story for us
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:06:25 +0100

On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 01:36:48PM +0100, Romain Rivière wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Romain,

> I don't mean to pile on, but after about a dozen years
> of using Linux-vserver, I've now moved on to Proxmox
> VE and LXC containers.

> It just matches my use case really well and is easier
> to maintain for me.

Makes total sense, LXC has made a lot of progress over
the last few years and the fact that systemd plays
nicely with it is a big bonus.

The relatively small overhead of having an init process
running and using virtual network devices and stacks
is negligible unless you are running several thousand
guests at the same machine.

I've spent some deep thoughts on making Linux-VServer
systemd compatible but I think that, besides a lot of
work, this would only result in another version of LXC
which is definitely not what we want here ...

> Again, my thanks go to all who have contributed to this
> project along the years.

> I've learned much thanks to it and to the exchanges on
> this mailing-list.

> I wish you all the very best in the future!

All the best to you as well,
Herbert