Subject: Re: [vserver] CentOS 7
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 05:54:12 +0100

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 06:56:41PM +0100, roman.pretory@austrianonlines.com wrote:
> Bad or no news,

Well, If I'm not completely wrong, Jacques Gelinas
created a script which replaces systemctl and allows
to start systemd services on Guest startup ...

I have to admit, I never tried it, but it seemed
to work for him back then.

> if there is no support for systemd means

Systemd doesn't like to run inside a proper isolated
container especially not with reduced capabilities.

That said, it seems to work in LXC nowadays, so I'm
kind of confident that with just enough permissions
it will probably work with only small or no modifications.

To be honest, there hasn't been much interest in getting
systemd running inside a Linux-VServer guest in the past
few years ...

> no redhat, fedora, centos, debian, suse.. and many more

While there are many other distributions which work
just fine without systemd, most distribution services
can be started from a simple script without the need
for systemd bossing around mainly because all of the
hardware related stuff has been taken care of already
and sshd and friends usually do not need a nanny to
watch over them.

> and means this project is dieing or already dead.

Well, if you like systemd and don't mind the reduced
isolation and slighly higher overhead, you are probably
fine with LXC.

Note that if there is real interest in getting systemd
working under Linux-VServer (for whatever reason) then
I'm willing to investigate this, but it's no fun to
debug stuff with systemd so it has to be worthwhile.

Best,
Herbert