Subject: Re: [vserver] Kernel build failures with IPv6 as a module
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 18:36:06 +0100

On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 11:28:47AM +0000, Chris Richardson wrote:
> Hi Herbert, thanks for your response!

You're welcome!

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 11:14, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

>> On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 11:29:01PM +0000, Chris Richardson wrote:
>>> Hi,

>> Hey Chris,

>>> I'm getting a build failure after applying any of the most
>>> recent vserver patches, for instance
>>> http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/patch-4.9.135-vs2.3.9.8.diff.

>>> I've tracked the cause down to the fact that I have IPv6 support
>>> configured as a module and the vserver code uses statements like

>>> #if CONFIG_IPV6
>>> rather than the kernel macro
>>> #if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_IPV6)

>> It is definitely a bug somewhere in the config system as
>> Linux-VServer should force IPv6 to 'y' or 'n' and disallow
>> building it as a module.

>>> I'm wondering if this a bug, or if it perhaps not make
>>> sense to configure IPv6 as a module in the vserver context?

>> Building IPv6 as a module is currently not supported by
>> Linux-VServer, so it doesn't make sense to do that with
>> the Linux-VServer patches but as I implied, the build
>> system should take care of this and prevent you from
>> selecting 'm' in the first place.

>> I'd appreciate if you could upload (or attach) the .config
>> you are using so that we can figure out why the build
>> system doesn't prevent you from building IPv6 as a module.

> This makes me realise that I'm doing everything wrong - my
> approach has been to manually patch my kernel source and
> manually configure the kernel, ie. I'm not using the build
> system to which you refer - I guess I should be.

You might not be as wrong as you think, because I was referring
to the Kernel Build System, which you are very likely using
after all.

Note there is nothing wrong with manually patching and then
(manually or not) configuring the kernel according to your needs.

But just to make sure, maybe you could describe what you did
and as suggested, provide your .config file for us to reproduce
the issue.

> So actually the only problem is between my keyboard and chair.

Not convinced yet :)

> Thanks again for your help!

You're welcome!

Best,