Subject: Re: [vserver] /var/run/vservers/$vserver keeps disappearing
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:54:48 +0200

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 09:39:02AM +0200, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,

> a short time after my vservers were started, the vserver
> utility says that the vservers are not running anymore.

> I now discovered that this is because
> /var/run/vservers/$vserver disappear after a short vserver
> uptime. So, I restored the files manually, but they
> disappeared again.

Sounds strange the main question IMHO is:

 Is it just the files disappearing or does the context
 end because the last process exits?

> What is happening there?

> I applied the vserver patch on Debian kernel 4.9.0-6, which
> really is 4.9.82 with some patches. util-vserver is version
> 0.30.216-pre3131.

Well, debian is different, but I haven't heard of an
over eager clean-up process going wild yet, but maybe
that's the case here ...

Note that you definitely want to avoid systemd on the
host (unless you know exactly what you are doing) because
it messes with all sorts of things you do not want to
be messed with ...

Best,
Herbert