Subject: Re: [vserver] Users have no way to find out when a process started
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 11:40:45 +0100

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 11:20:53AM +0800, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson wrote:
> OK thanks but shouldn't those changes be the default,
> else what is the advantage to have nonsense values
> reported to the user?

As I tried to explain, there are basically two options
here:

 - Without virtualization
   You see unmodified (host) times everywhere including
   the boot/uptime

 - With virtualization
   You only see relative (guest) times for processes
   and general uptime information.

> Is it for saving some cycles?

While some cycles can be saved by not virtualizing this
it is mostly to allow for guests which monitor the host
and thus want to see the absolute information.

> I mean why have the system report process start time
> older than boot for processes I just started?

That, as I said, is most likely a bug in the kernel used
on the host, so not on purpose.

> Maddening.

Indeed ... best,
Herbert