Subject: ps -ef command gives incorrect stime
From: Lou Giudice <optlou@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:10:12 -0400

Hello,

After starting a new process, when looking at it with the ps -ef
command, the stime field incorrectly displays a date many days earlier.

I am a customer of DreamHost and reported this problem to them. After
some attempts, they temporarily fixed the issue, but it came back after
a restart of my virtual server.  They then responded as follows:

Unfortunately, after further investigation by our admins, this issue is
not something we can resolve for you at this time. This is because the
problem is not with our configuration of the hosting services we offer
but with a bug in the virtualization software that we use to create VPS'
(Linux-VServer). Our admins are working with the vserver open-source
community to have this bug addressed, but at this time there's no telling
when that will be.

I hope they are following through with the community but figured I would
report it anyway.

/proc/version
Linux version 3.1.9-vs2.3.2.5vs2.3.2.5+ (marcus@maize) (gcc version
4.7.3 (Gentoo Hardened 4.7.3-r1 p1.4, pie-0.5.5) ) #3 SMP Wed Feb 1
2 13:51:29 PST 2014

Since I am only their customer, I only have access to my instance, so
running the test scripts is futile.

Running testme.sh fails looking for the utility 'vserver'

Linux-VServer Test [V0.17] Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H.Poetzl
utility 'vserver' could not be found.

Because of the warning about the risk of reformatting the hard drive, I
won't attempt to run testfs.sh.

Perhaps DreamHost can run these tests.

Sorry I could not be more helpful, but at least perhaps I'm getting the
issue on the radar.

Thank you for your time and your contributions.

Sincerely,
Lou Giudice