Subject: Re: [vserver] Issue with OverlayFS in 3.18
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 13:05:24 -0600

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 17:10:20 +0100
Oliver Welter <mail@oliwel.de> wrote:

> Am 22.02.2015 um 17:01 schrieb Herbert Poetzl:
>
> --snipped--
>
> > Documentation says it should be a character device with
> > major/minor 0/0, so allowing that device should do the
> > job, no further modification required.
> >
> Yes that is correct - is there a way to do so with the current kernel
> patches or do we(you) need to modify the patch.

i would guess:

mknod ${WHITEOUT} c 0 0

which seems to be confirmed by the script attached to the end of this
email [1], though i'm not sure where this whiteout device is suppose to
reside (same directory as mount point for overlay?).

you should be able to mknod the whiteout device from the host in the vserver
(eg "mknod /vservers/${VNAME}/mnt/whiteout c 0 0") or allow the guest to
create it (using cgroup device whitelist controller or vdevmap).

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/600106/

corey
--
undefined@pobox.com