Subject: Externalized Package Management Available Internally??
From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 20:24:18 +0000

I noticed something odd on my VServer deployment. Some of it is a
side-effect of EL6 dependencies (rpm package is part of a dependency
chain of the initscripts package and is thus not removable). But the
following seems... odd.

I have /vservers/.pkg/$guest/rpm/state/ that contains the rpm database.
So far so good. The package management is externalized.

But I notice that this is bind-mounted inside the vserver guests under
/var/lib/rpm. This strikes me as odd since it means that rpm package
database can be used and manipulated from within the guest. That means
that the package database is both internalized and externalized at the
same time and that is not what I want.

Is there a way to prevent this bind mount inside the guests? There is
nothing in /etc/vservers/$guest/fstab to cause this, so where is it
coming from, and how can it be disabled?

TIA.

Gordan