Subject: Re: [vserver] Virus scanning on a guest
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 19:38:00 +0200

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 05:37:11PM +0100, Phil Daws wrote:
> Hello:

> has anybody been able to get virus scanning running under
> a vserver guest ? Yesterday I tried ESET and Kaspersky
> with the following errors:

> service esets start
> Starting ESET Securityerror[25340000]: Cannot initialize
> scanner: No such file or directory              [FAILED]

> /opt/kaspersky/kav4fs/bin/kav4fs-control --scan-file /tmp
> Couldn't scan file /tmp

First /tmp is not a file, it is a mount point (at least
on typical Unix/Linux distributions), and the question
here is how your /tmp is mounted (which might be too
restrictive, for security reasons, on this guest)

> I even gave my guest :

> cat bcapabilities
> NET_RAW
> SYS_ADMIN

Those are definitely not required for a simple task like
virus scanning and I would strongly suggest not to give
that to a guest with a focus on security ...

> any ideas please ? Thanks, P.

First, check the mount options, then check with e.g.
strace -fF what the kaspersky tool is trying to do and
what actually fails.

HTH,
Herbert