Subject: Re: [vserver] linux-vserver, lxc and docker, +++
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 18:57:36 +0100

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 01:48:25PM +0100, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> I came across this presentation embedded on this page:

> http://bodenr.blogspot.no/2014/03/linux-containers-building-blocks.html

> On page 31, there is an overview of various virtualization
> methods. What is community views on the comments made on
> linux-vserver?

I'd say he didn't do his research properly.

First, we have been there long before OpenVZ, so the
'well seasoned' listed there is dubious.

Second, we are (now) based on cgroups and namespaces,
so the summary there is wrong as well.

Further ...
 - we have python bindings as well
 - there are some (outdated) panels
 - I would definitely consider it more stable than OVZ :)

But obviously it is biased (towards Docker) and just
takes the fact that OVZ now is owned by Parallels as
a 'sign of stability' :)

> It is/was my impression that current linux-vserver "builds" on
> cgroups and namespaces features from lxc in the standard kernel
> --- and also that new lxc implementation gradually replace
> "custom" linux-vserver implementations?

Completely correct. Whenever some mainline feature gets
useable, we try to incorporate it as soon as possible.

> Reason for me asking, is that we are building a system based on
> linux-vserver, and likes to have some confirmation that we have
> not chosen the wrong technology. In that context, a "merge" of
> linux-vserver into improving lxc tools in the very long run, is
> a very acceptable roadmap for us.

I don't think you've made the wrong choice, but obviously
I'm biased as well :)