Subject: Re: [vserver] Building guests - new to Debian
From: "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders42@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 07:39:44 -0800

Thanks Adrian.

On 01/04/2014 04:48 AM, Adrian Reyer wrote:
> Hello Rod,
>
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:21:38AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> I have one host system build (Wheezy amd64) and running so now need
>> to build the guests.  The example on the web site is for older
>> Debian's so I'd need to confirm I just need to change the build
>> command line to -d wheezy from -d lenny if I want to build 64bit
>> wheezy guests.
>
> Basically it is just that. Make sure with recent vserver-Patches to use
> recent util-vserver as well. In no case use the debian-provided
> squeeze-version.

I used Ben's instructions so got them from his repo -- wheezy.

>> Once I have one built, how complete is the guest?  I.E. what
>> packages are installed during the build process?  The guests will be
>> mostly DNS servers (authoritative and resolvers), MX and SMTP
>> servers.  Toss in a couple web servers and some fun project servers
>> to round it out.
>
> It is a minimal install.

As I discovered.  Really minimal.  Anyone: Is there a script that
performs the same type of action that a disk or net based install does
... set the keyboard, language, etc?  I did create a guest and when I
tried installing vim, less, and Postfix I got errors about some
environment variables not being set.  I've been using standard
distribution installs for so long I can't even ask the right questions
of Mr. Google for where/how to set them in Debian.

Thanks,
Rod