Subject: Re: [vserver] Subnet
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 21:23:11 +0100

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 02:11:27PM -0500, Ted Barnes wrote:
> Hi All:

> I've noticed that on a guest browser, I can access the login
> page for the router which I'd prefer not to be possible.

From this vague statement, I conclude the following:

 - You have a router which can be configured over ethernet
   on the same network your host/guest is on, probably
   something like an ADSL router.

 - You have a guest running on the same subnet as your host
 - Your guest has a web browser installed :)

> Q: Is there a common way to prevent this?

There are actually a bunch of ways to prevent this:

 - Configure the router not to allow your guest's IP
 - Configure the firewall on the host to block the guest
 - Use a separate (non routed) network for the guest
 - Add a separate firewall to the setup

> Can guests be run on a different subnet than the host?

No, but you can have two different subnets on the host
and use one of them only for the guest.

> Or is there another approach that's the "right" way to do this?

Usually private addresses for guests in combination with
proper NAT/Masquerading setups on the host are the most
efficient way to deal with this and many other 'problems'

HTH,
Herbert