Subject: Trying to understand vserver memory
From: Belinda Lawson <briffee@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:15:05 -0800

Hi, I need a bit of help understanding how memory management works
inside a vserver.  My problem is that I would like to mimic the
behavior of a unix system with 256M ram and 256M swap.  I have read
the documentation on the wiki, but I am still not certain how to
mimic the behavior of swap.

In my experiments, if I set the rss hard limit to 256M to reflect the
physical ram, it begins to kill processes (somewhat randomly?) if
more than 256M is requested, rather than allow swap to be used.  In
fact, I never see swap used at all, which is very strange since
`free` reports that swap does exist inside the vserver.   Could you
help me understand how I can adjust the rss and as limits to get
behavior more in line with my goal?

Thanks, in advance, for any enlightenment you can provide.

Best regards,
-Belinda