Subject: Re: [vserver] Linux Vserver and Hypervisors
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 08:36:27 -0600

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 12:54:53 +0000
Ted Barnes <madogdevelopment@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I'm hoping to understand how Linux Vserver might work with something
> like OpenStack.  My limited understanding of OpenStack is that it is
> aimed at managing virtual machines, and can do so if they are
> "Hypervisors" like Zen or KVM.

if it can support lxc (linux containers), which it appears to
(https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix), then in theory it
can support linux-vserver.

> My understanding is that Linux Vserver
> is not a Hypervisor per se.

no, it is not, but just like lxc it is instead operating system
virtualization (ie the operating system is virtualized so that each virtual
environment appears to have its own instance of the operating system; see
also solaris zones/containers).

> Q:  has anyone any experience using OpenStack to manage Vserver hosts
> and guests?  Or is this a "non starter"?

while linux-vserver support in openstack is theoretically possible, it
doesn't appear to be implemented and therefor currently practically
impossible.

> Thanks!

hope that helps.

corey