Subject: Re: [vserver] Running Linux vServer and KVM on same Server
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:30:21 +0200

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:00:14AM +0200, Urban Loesch wrote:
> Hi,

> thanks for your fast answer.

>>> Have anyone of you experience with a setup like this?

>> Yes, and it works well ;)

>> (BTW, the Proxmox distribution runs a similar setup, but with
>> OpenVZ for containers.)

> Yes we have two proxmox machines running for a customer.

I had a longer talk with the proxmox folks back then when
proxmox was new and innovative, and we came to the conclusion
that there is no technical reason why proxmox shouldn't
support Linux-VServer and they told me that they plan to
do so in the 'near future' ... I guess they got an offer
they couldn't resist locking them in.

> Works very good too. But our main servers like mailserver or
> webserver are running with linux-vserver and we don't want
> change virtualization technology due to the fact that it is
> working very well.

>>> Are there any problems expectet to run linux-vserver and kvm
>>> together?

>> Not that I'm aware of (modulo the fact that I run this setup
>> on more older kernel than your's [Debian Squeeze ones])

> We will get 3.10.x with kvm a chance. If there are some problem
> we let you know.

>>> Or are there some other better full virtualization
>>> technologies which we don't know?

>> You can achieve full virtualization also with Xen, but I won't
>> call it « better »... ;)

> We have never tried XEN. With kvm we have a little experience
> due to proxmox, which helps us here.

Xen was a nice idea to implement the conecpts of high
end PowerPC hypervisor systems on low end PCs, but IMHO
it has never really taken off and was replaced by kvm
which IMHO is a lot simpler to handle from the admins
point of view.