Subject: Re: [vserver] /proc/net/dev missing when networknamespaces are active
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:39:30 +0200

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 01:36:35PM +0200, Adrian Reyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 09:10:04PM +1000, Steve Kieu wrote:
>> I have asked once before but no one got no reply.

> I know.

>> Basically normal ifconfig, route, will not work. However ip
>> tools work, and application using network still works
>> Interested to know how to unhide it as well ...

> Well, it seems not to have to do with proc-unhiding at all, it
> seems to be an issue with netns as such.

just ask a question on the containers mailing list or lkml
if nobody answers there, but be prepared, it might be
deliberately missing ...

> Unfortunately I need netns to enable my vservers for ipv6
> autoconfiguration as they have multiple, some of them with
> changing prefixes.

> ip-tools work well enough for ipv6 auto-assigning to be successful.

> I managed to get an IPv4-Adress with 'pump' instead of dhclient
> once. But since then it fails again.

DHCP configuration for guests has been done for many, many
years (long before network namespaces were developed), by
simply using different client identifiers for dhcp requests
from the host and simply assigning the returned IP/net to
the guest in question (services binding to 0.0.0.0 will
use the assigned IP even if it changes during the lifetime
of the guest)

HTH,
Herbert