Subject: OLPC and VServer
From: "Ng, Cheon-woei" <cheon-woei.ng@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:35:07 -0800
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:35:07 -0800
Hi All,

According to the item 12 of OLPC News from 2007-11-03 at

https://mailman2.grnet.gr/pipermail/olpc/2007-November/000484.html
<https://mailman2.grnet.gr/pipermail/olpc/2007-November/000484.html> ,
OLPC is removing VServer kernel patches from their Update 1 build.

The full text of item 12 is as followed:

12. Kernel: Andres Salomon spent Sunday through Tuesday hunting down a
bizarre bug that turned out to be something in the kernel scheduler.
He ran out of time for debugging, but signs were pointing to it being
a vserver bug. The instability of the VServer kernel patches has made
us remove this from our builds for Update.1. We will likely revisit
use of light-weight containerization for security in future releases.
We are pursuing alternate approaches to activity isolation for our
first releases.

Questions:

1.	Are those bugs being solved?
2.	Is OLPC still actively working with Vserver team?
3.	What are the bugs that make Vserver unstable in OLPC?
4.	Is it true that it is very difficult to debug the kernel patch's
codes?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Cheon-Woei Ng