Subject: Re: [vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 00:48:33 -0500

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 23:22:40 -0500
Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:19:44 +0200Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 03:36:10PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> > > There have been numerous 'requests' for a new Stable
> > > release and it seems like the Linux-VServer community
> > > is willing to 'sponsor' the stabilization process ...
> >
> > [zapped]
> >
> > > thus the first thing is to select a kernel we want
> > > to stabilize for a stable release ...
> >
> > > options IMHO are:
> >
> > >  - 2.6.32.x (has performance issues, but is long term)
> > >  - 2.6.38.x (good performance, not longterm yet)
> > >  - 3.0.x    (immature, but the future)

> my personal preference is the first 3.x to go longterm because, as ed,
> benedikt, and i believe others have said...

> this leaves 3.x, which i figure will be the next longterm kernel (though
> maybe 2.6.39). note i'm not saying 3.0.y, because i don't know that anybody
> will pick up 3.0 for longterm.  it'll receive stable support, but how far
> will that take it and do we care that after ~6 months our targeted kernel has
> no upstream support?  in a week or two i intend to test the 3.0 kernel with
> the latest vserver patch on debian squeeze (my preferred vserver host distro)
> to test the viability of using a stable vserver patch against 3.x with
> squeeze, though i'm pretty sure i'll have to use a backported kernel-package
> and possibly initramfs-tools, etc.

today i compiled and tested linux 3.0.1-vs2.3.1-pre8 with util-vserver
0.30.216-pre2982 on debian squeeze and it generally worked, but specifically:

 * i compiled it in a amd64 squeeze pbuilder chroot (in a lenny guest)
 * i used "make deb-pkg" [1] instead of make-kpkg [2], because from my
research [3] kernel-package doesn't support linux >= 3.0
 * the linux-image package was tested on a minimal amd64 squeeze in virtualbox
 * initramfs-tools built me a working initrd with "MODULES=most"
 * testme.sh and "vserver ... start" failed until i disabled CONFIG_USER_NS
[4]

[1]
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-kernel-org-package,
specifically "make -j4 KDEB_PKGVERSION=squeeze1 INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 deb-pkg"
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.en.html#s-customkernel
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/08/msg00144.html
[4] http://irc.13thfloor.at/LOG/2011-08/LOG_2011-08-03.txt

again, i'm not voting for 3.0.y (unless it gets longterm support), but
simply sharing my findings of successfully compiling and testing 3.0.1 with
debian squeeze.

corey
--
undefined@pobox.com