Subject: Re: [vserver] Hashify Cleanup
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:45:10 -0500

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:32:32 +0100
Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net> wrote:

> I know the documentation usually recommends doing
>
> find /vserver/.hash -type f -links 1 -exec rm '{}' \;
>
> to clean up the stale hard-links, but are there any drawbacks to also doing
>
> find /vserver/.hash -type f -links 2 -exec rm '{}' \;
>
> ?
>
> In the latter case, the links that will be found are those that only
> exist in one vserver (plus the one link in .hash). These hard-links
> don't seem to be of any obvious advantage. Are there any possible
> negative side effects from removing them?

if you run hashify on the associated guest, then those hardlinks that you just deleted
will be recreated.  though feel free to delete them again (and hashify them again and
delete them again and...) or just stop hashifying that guest or the relevant directories/files
(see /usr/lib/util-vserver/defaults/vunify-exclude & /etc/vservers/<guest>/apps/vunify/exclude
or where ever your util-vserver installation puts them).

if you decide to use guest-specific exclusions, then realize that the guest-specific
exclusion file overrides the default file, so if you want to keep the default exclusions
and add some to it, then copy the default exclusion list and add to it:

 * cp -av /usr/lib/util-vserver/defaults/vunify-exclude /etc/vservers/<vserver>/apps/vunify/exclude
 * echo '/usr/src/*' >>/etc/vservers/<vserver>/apps/vunify/exclude

corey
--
undefined@pobox.com