Subject: Re: [vserver] Strange guest message: "Device and target are missing"
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:06:35 +0100

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 07:42:11PM +0100, Jarry wrote:
> Hi, I have following problem:

> I want to give vserver-guest (running gentoo) ability to create
> certain device-file. So I did (in host):

> # mkdir -p /etc/vservers/vs6-guest/apps/vdevmap/null

> Then I started vs6-guest, without a problem. But when I try
> to stop vs6-guest, I get these messages:

> # vserver vs6-guest stop
>  * Stopping local ...                                  [ ok ]
>  * Saving random seed ...                              [ ok ]
>  * Stopping fcron ...                                  [ ok ]
>  * Stopping syslog-ng ...                              [ ok ]
>  * Terminating remaining processes ...                 [ ok ]
>  * Killing remaining processes ...                     [ ok ]
>  * Saving dependency cache ...                         [ ok ]
> Device and target are missing; try '--help' for more information
> #

> What does the last message mean?

my first guess would be that it is created by the shutdown
process inside the guest, i.e. some script trying to do
something which involves a tool expecting a device and
target but ...

google, OTOH, links me to vdevmap.c in util-vserver, which
features exactly this error message, so it might not be
a problem _inside_ the guest, but more a problem with the
guest config or an util-vserver bug ...