Subject: Re: [vserver] Shall I try 2.6.36.3 with vs2.3.0.36.38.4 or 2.6.37 with vs2.3.0.37-rc3 on gentoo?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:03:27 +0100

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 01:39:32PM +0100, Marcus Mülbüsch wrote:
> Am 08.03.2011 13:16, schrieb Christian Bricart:
>> Marcus Mülbüsch wrote:
>>> With the vserver-sources-2.3.0.36.32 and util-vserver-0.30.216_pre2910
>>> [..]
>>> The only thing that didn't work was the "Oxford OX16PCI958 multiport
>>> card". Seems our card was defunct.

>> vserver-sources-2.3.0.36.32 is based on 2.6.35 - in your original posting
>> you stated, that drivers for your card are in>=2.6.36 ..
>> Maybe that's why it's (still) "defunct" :)

> Luckily I was wrong in my original post! (But for a moment my heart fell
> down below ground level for I thought it was all my fault.)

> Drivers are in 2.6.35, so the drivers are here now; I checked.

> What really made me believe the the card is defunct is that a windows
> machine does not handle the serial ports correctly, too. Plus the fact
> that my boss checked and the signal level was below the 5V that the
> manual says the card has. So some modems on the card did not respond;
> some did sometimes...

a few years ago, I'd probably used a similar (althoug supported)
card to connect several machines via serial port (as serial
console), but nowadays there are many cheaper alternatives to
those usually quite expensive cards.

one really nice alternative are those 4 port FTDI USB modules
which not only allow you to communicate with 4 device over a
single USB port, but can also act as GPIO