Subject: Re: [vserver] Xmas Update ...
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:50:46 +0100

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 04:59:06PM +0100, Grzegorz Nosek wrote:
> W dniu 21.12.2010 17:34, Herbert Poetzl pisze:

> >Greetings Linux-VServer Community!

> >I'm glad to announce that after the mainline stabilization
> >which almost finished in 2.6.36 and should be completed
> >in 2.6.37, we are going to finally start a Linux-VServer
> >stabilization phase, which should result in a clean and
> >code reviewed devel version within in the next month, and
> >probably a new stable version lateron given that we find
> >the time and resources to do the extensive testing required.

> Great to hear that!

> Do you plan to support the long-term 2.6.35.y release? [*]

we will definitely 'support' the long term kernel versions
with rebased patches (of the existing experimental releases)
but ...

> We will probably be forced to migrate off our 2.6.27.y soon
> but would still like to keep the same kernel version for a
> while (fewer surprises that way).

> Or do you mean you're going to base the stable VServer tree
> on 2.6.37 (probably) so we'll have to wait for the next
> longterm tree then?

... there is no point in using anything else than the 2.6.37.x
branch for stabilization, as mainline stabilization didn't
happen before 2.6.36 and is quite unlikely to get back ported
to 2.6.35 (but if that happens, i.e. if patches for 2.6.37.x
apply with minimal changes to 2.6.35, we'll probably consider
that if there is broad interest and/or sponsoring :)

HTC,
Herbert