Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver won't start properly
From: andy baxter <andy@earthsong.free-online.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:17:36 +0000

On 09/12/10 17:10, andy baxter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up a couple of vservers on my debian stable machine, both
> running ubuntu lucid. The first one, dolphin, has been running nicely
> for a while. I built a copy of it (using the rsync method to 'vserver
> build'), and changed the hostname to make another vserver, alien.
> Yesterday I managed to get alien to start up, and it was working fine
> with apache / php / mysql running on it and the network being routed
> on the host machine. Today there was a power interruption and now it
> won't start up - when I do 'vserver alien start', it boots up to a
> certain point with a few processes running, but most of the services
> don't start up.
>
> This is 'ps ax' on the vserver:
>
> root@whale:/# ps ax
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
>     1 ?        Ss     0:00 /sbin/init
>  3876 ?        Ss     0:00 /bin/sh -e /proc/self/fd/9
>  3897 ?        S      0:00 initctl emit local-filesystems
>  3915 ?        Ss     0:00 dbus-daemon --system --fork
>  3973 ?        R+     0:00 login
>  4006 pts/2    Ss     0:00 /bin/bash -login
>  4019 pts/2    R+     0:00 ps ax

Another bit of info that may be relevant - initctl is stopping on
'local-filesystems' in the ps listing - I checked which upstart scripts
in /etc/init refer to that and this is the result:

root@whale:/etc/init# grep local-filesystems *
dbus.conf:start on local-filesystems
mountall.conf:emits local-filesystems
mountall.conf.dpkg-dist:emits local-filesystems
mysql.conf:          and local-filesystems
networking.conf:start on (local-filesystems
networking.conf~:start on (local-filesystems
vserver.conf:       initctl emit local-filesystems