Subject: OpenVPN Interface
From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:30:42 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to get an OpenVPN server running in a guest and I have a
peculiar problem. I cannot seem to manually create an OpenVPN interface
exactly the same as what is created by:

# openvpn --mktun --dev tun0
TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
Persist state set to: ON

# ip link
77: tun0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN
qlen 100
     link/[65534]

How can a device with link type [65534] be created using the ip
commands? The closest I could come up with is something like:
# ip tunnel add tun0 mode ipip local 192.168.0.1 remote 192.168.0.2
# ip link set tun0 mtu 1500
# ip addr add dev tun0 local 192.168.0.1 peer 192.168.0.2

But that ends up with link type ipip and openvpn with ifconfig-noexec
cannot seem to use it (it tries to look for non-existant device node
/dev/tun0). When tun0 is created using:
# openvpn --mktun --dev tun0
it works fine.

Ideally I want to make the device come up using the standard distro
ifcfg config scripts rather than the openvpn command. Has anyone managed
to get that to work?

Gordan