Subject: Re: [vserver] Path Weirdness With yum and tmpfs
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:08:56 +0200

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 02:00:54PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> I'm trying to put:
> /vservers/.pkg/*/yum/cache
> /vservers/.pkg/*/yum/lib

> on tmpfs because my tiny vserver has a CF for a disk, so minimizing
> writes is pretty important. But something odd is happening. When I
> run yum update, the files end up in the underlying cache directory on
> disk, rather than in the tmpfs mounted on that path.

> I'm _guessing_ that might be due to the yum-hack.conf. Can anyone
> assess that guess and perhaps suggest a fix/workaround?

my guess would be that this happens because the
package management is done from a filesystem namespace
which probably doesn't know a thing about your tmpfs
(an thus the files end up in the 'original' filesystem)

doing the mount before the guest is started might
already fix this, but making sure that the mount
exists in the proper namespace should take care of
this issue ...

but as I said, I'm just guessing here as I do not really
use (v)yum on my servers ...