Subject: Re: [vserver] Additional internal-only IP on loopback
From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:40:02 +0100

Art -kwaak- van Breemen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:53:08AM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> I cannot seem tol get this to work. I have added:
>>
>> /etc/vservers/$name/interfaces/1/dev
>> lo
>> /etc/vservers/$name/interfaces/1/ip
>> 192.168.0.1
>> /etc/vservers/$name/interfaces/1/prefix
>> 16
>
> You know that putting 192.168.0.1/16 on lo means that you have
> 64k ip addresses on the host, you do realise that?
> It's normal to put a /32 on lo, but a whole /16.
> Dev lo has special meaning for ipv4: the host will answer any
> arps for networks on lo. (Almost like a proxy_arp).

Doesn't this contradict what has already been said on this thread, that
guests-only networking can be done by assigning IPs on loopback? If I
add an IP 192.168.0.1/32, then this will not be able to access
192.168.0.2/32 on another guest without routing, right? And somebody
said that using a dummy interface will just end up getting re-written to
lo. So, what is the right way to do an internal guests-only "vlan" with
vserver?

Gordan