Subject: Re: [vserver] Newbie questions
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:43 +0100

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 04:43:36PM +1100, McMahon, Peter (VIC) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am interested in testing out Vserver...for a particular requirement
> we have. At the moment we are using VMWare server and it works of a
> fashion (crashes with heavy Disk IO). Doing a bit of research/reading
> before I take the plunge and I am a bit confused...in particular -
> does the GUEST and HOST O/S have to be the same, see point 1) below

the kernel is (implicitely) the same, the distro can
be anything, given that it works with the kernel

> We need to run RedHat 2.1 for a particular application...and 2.1
> will not install on our h/w. So, with out going into the trials and
> tribualtions of RH 2.1 etc etc
>
> can I
> 1) run RedHat 4 (or 5) as HOST OS - and then run a Vserver guest with RH
> 2.1?

yes, definitely, you can also run a completely different
distribution like debian or ubuntu on that system

> 2) If I can do point 1) above ...can I copy an exsisting RH 2.1 server
> (from the VMWare guest) to Vserver as outlined in
> http://wiki.linux-vserver.org/util-vserver:Howto_virtualize_an_exisiting_Linux_server
>  or have I completely missed what this article is about

yes, basically you create a skeleton guest and move the
entire installation into the data dir, or alternatively
you could make use of the rsync build method

HTH,
Herbert