Subject: Re: [vserver] Linux-Vserver and Amazon Web Services
From: Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:17:41 -0400

 Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:17:41 -0400
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 12:03:15AM -0400, Edward Capriolo wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Roderick A. Anderson
>> <raanders@cyber-office.net> wrote:

>> > Nope.  Looks like we might be sailing in uncharted waters.  :-)
>> >

>> > \\||/
>> > Rod
>> > --
>
>> I do not think you can replace the kernel on AWS. Building Xen and
>> VServer into one kernel is not an easy task.
>
> why do you think so?
>
>> I saw some debian packages that had managed to build Xen and Vserver,
>> so it is not impossible.
>
> why should it pose a problem at all?
>
> Xen as architecture is supported out of the box with
> Linux-VServer and a mainline kernel, adding specific
> Xen patches/updates (for domU) should pose no problem
> and running a dom0 doesn't seem a good idea anyway
> as you could use Linux-VServer in the first place :)
>
> best,
> Herbert

I stand corrected, I believe I had tried before XEN was mainlined,
maybe that was the source of my confusion.

As to it being easy: When I search I find documents about doing this
on debian etch:
http://www.completefusion.com/wordpress/virtualization-vserver-and-xen-on-debian-etch/
, as well as ten other blogs re-explaining this over and over. However
for those not familiar with debian and debian packaging, I find it
hard to "track down" all these packages and build this type of kernel
from source.