Subject: Re: [vserver] Dual NIC support
From: Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 05:26:06 -0400

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
> Assuming I have a two NIC system, is it possible to assign a NIC
> exclusively per guest ? Traffic to NIC 1 get routed to guest 1 and NIC
> 2 to guest 2 ? Please let me know.
>
> --Nirmal

yes it is possible. i ran 4 nics on 4 different physical networks for several years.
there
are a few caveats but most involved outside pings which was not my concern.

you must use iproute2 and have proper route/rule definitions in your host and kernel

settings and each nic 'activated' with a 'parent' ip from each network in the host before

attempting to get the guests to behave within it. it worked quite well for me.

unless you are using 2 different networks that would require 2 different gateways and

netmasks, i strongly suggest staying with one nic. it is a much easier configuration.

also  do not try to 'split up' the same network across multiple nics. it won't work
unless
that network is divided into unique netblocks each with its own gateway/netmask.

some have tried to ease bandwidth loading by using multiple nics but if your reason
for
doing this is to 'ease' the load on the hardware nic using the same network, there is
no
reason to. your nic hardware and internal network have far more bandwidth capability
than
could possibly be used by any internet connection.

--

Chuck