Subject: Re: [vserver] Problem with apache
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:21:29 +0200

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:44:20PM +0200, Gerardi wrote:
> Hello,

> we are running 2.6.31.3-vs2.3.0.36.17 with an Intel(R) Core(TM)
> i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
> and have a problem sending bigger POST requests to apache.

> Smaller POSTs work fine (90K for example), larger ones (450K) don't,
> but produce "400 Bad requests" answers, most often with just the text
> "Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand."
> and no single entry in any log file. Sometimes it says that a colon in
> a request header is missing, but that rarely happens.

you sure that apache can handle 450k posts?

> The client used to test this was Mozilla Firefox, without any firewall
> or packet filter on either client or server side. Customer clients
> have the same problem.

> The machine runs masquerading for it's 9 vservers.

> There are no hints in either kernel oder apache log files.

> Is this a known problem?

not that I'd know ...

> Is it possible to fix this while staying with the 2.6.31 series?

it doesn't look/sound Linux-VServer related though ...

> Do you need more information?

the first test I'd do is to simply chroot into the guest
dir and start apache from there (and repeate the test)
if that shows the same behaviour, install a vanilla kernel
and repeate the test (make sure to use the same .config)

my guess would be a network or configuration problem
(host or apache)

> I am reluctant to do tcpdump / ethereal or
> strace right now, but could do so tomorrow in the morning.

HTH,
Herbert