Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver scalability
From: Andre Timmermann <vserver.lists@darktim.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:14:26 +0200

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.06.2010, 21:32 +0200 schrieb Herbert Poetzl:

> > Am particularly interested to know how many virtual servers
> > can be spawned in a single host?
>
> we stopped testing around 40.000 guests on a single
> host, because it became somwhat slow and the 64k
> process limit was an issue back then ....

I am pretty sure that it is POSSIBLE to start several hundrets or even
thousends of guests on one physical machine, but the real question is
how many guests are REASONABLE on on physical machine.

In my experience the main impact is I/O on normal server hardware (e.g
Dual Intel Xeon CPU / 8 cores / 12 GB RAM / two disks with raid 1)

If each instance operates an own mysql-server, then it gets worse.

So the second question should be: what will be done/installed on the
guests?

Greetz,
Andre