Subject: Re: [vserver] Scheduling/memory
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:45:05 +0200

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:54:44PM -0700, Siv wrote:
> Am comparing Vserver against OpenVZ and came across this :

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVZ#CPU_scheduler
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVZ#User_Beancounters

> It refers to two level scheduler for both cpu and I/O.
> Does Vserver too use a two level scheduler?

no, older versions implement a quite flexible TB scheduler
which allows a lot more configurations than just a two
level scheduler

http://linux-vserver.org/CPU_Scheduler#Token_Bucket_Extension

newer patches use the mainline scheduler which was extended
to handle guest/cgroup shares properly

> Also strict cpu limits, beancounters for memory/file -
> are these possible in vserver too?

yes, for old as well as for new kernels, we call them
limits (instead of beancounters) but they have been there
since the early days (almost a decade ago)

> Hope it is, just checking.

np

> Does Vserver support MIPS?

Linux-VServer supports all Linux kernel archs. this
doesn't mean that we have the resources to check each
on every release, but if you encounter some issues on
MIPS (32 or 64bit) just let us know and they will be
fixed ASAP

> I can see it supports x86 and powerpc.

and many others ...