Subject: Re: [vserver] glibc on guest system
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 22:01:54 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:04:24AM -0700, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
> Hi,

> I see that guest system uses its own glibc.
> Guest (centos5) :
> libglib-2.0.so.0
> libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.3

> Host(Fedora12)
> libglib-2.0.so.0
> libglib-2.0.so.0.2200.2

> Since there is always some depedency between glibc
> and kernel, I wonder if vserver requires guest system

newer kernels are always ABI compatible to older
ones (Linus takes great care not to break anything
there :) so older glibc will work fine with newer
kernels, although they might not be able to utilize
newer kernel features ...

it is always suggested to use a recent kernel for
Linux-VServer, that said, there are no known issues
between kernel and guest glibc (regardless of the
libc version)

> glibc to be compatible (in other words, guest system
> glibc version < host system glibc version) the kernel?

why should the guest glibc have any dependancy
with the host glibc?

> If so, how this is guaranteed?

nothing is guaranteed, but it works for the reasons
mentioned above, of course, if you decide to run
an ubuntu guest on an ancient debian host kernel
you might get into troubles ....

> Please clarify.

HTC,
Herbert