Subject: Re: [vserver] CentOS: device eth0 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:21:53 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 01:06:19AM -0500, Ram wrote:
> Hi All,

>  I am trying to install Linux vserver on centos-5.3. I installed it,
> when i boot linux vserver kernel (2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1) i got the
> following error.

I'd suggest to go for a more recent kernel, especially
if you have modern hardware ....

> *"device eth0 has differenct MAC address than expected, ignoring"*
> *
> *
>  it is working fine when i boot centos 5.3 kernel.

does the interface 'work' when you configure it manually
when booted with the Linux-VServer kernel?

>  i checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.
> There is an entry with HWADDR with ethernet address.

does it match the nic's MAC? with both kernels?

> In network configuration GUI. I found that the network adapters are
> different in both kernels. In centos-5.3 it is "*Intel corporation
> 82567LM-3 gigabit*" network, where as in linux vserver it is
> "*e1000e"*.

e1000e is the driver, the 82567LM-3 gigabit is the pci
name/identifier

>  System: Dell optiplex 760.
>  OS: centos-5.3 32 bit.

>  Can anyone tell me how solve this problem?

first I'd check with a vanilla (i.e. kernel.org kernel)
and see if the nic works as expected (maybe with config
changes), once that is done, switching to the Linux-VServer
kernel should pose no problem whatsoever ...

> If you need any further details please let me know.

see above ...