Subject: Re: [vserver] Re: multiple portmap daemons?
From: Petar Hitij <petahi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:46:30 +0200

 Wed, 19 May 2010 12:46:30 +0200
Thanks for you input Herbert.

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:14:04AM +0200, Petar Hitij wrote:
>> If I try to use single portmap daemon in the host, guest client cannot
>> connect becouse portmap does not recognise it as a local client.
>
> there should be no problem to run a portmap (e.g. rpcbind)
> on the host and inside the guest, given that you configure
> both correctly ...

I had to use chbind to limit portmap to loopback and hosts ip
numbers. "-i" option of portmap allows for only one ip portmap
would listen to. rpcbind would probably work better, I managed
to get single rpcbind daemon to serve all vservers and host
but couldn't run multiple daemons in vservers. That was most
probably because I forgot to remove "nonamespace" from
previous attempts.

>> Would it be possibe to make guest ip-s visible as local host ip-s?
>
> guest IPs are host local but not 'localhost' unless you
> assign a 127.x.x.x ip to the guest, which needs to be
> done with great care ....

Portmap filters all request to update its table that are not
coming from 127.x.x.x. My question is wrong, it reflects
portmap error message which complains about request from
non local ip.

> best,
> Herbert
>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Petar Hitij <petahi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Is there any chance of running portmap in host (nfs server) and whithin
>> > guest - application needs it? I am running Debian lenny  5.0.4
>> > with kernel 2.6.26-2-vserver-amd64 .

Best regards,
Petar