Subject: SSD/HD hybrids
From: Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:32:16 +0200

Due to space limitations within the 5015A-PHF rackmounts and my
budget limitations I'm thinking about using an 80 GByte Intel
SSD along with a conventional 1-2 TByte SATA drive in a sensible
way for vserver production systems.

Linux doesn't have any native/production filesystems like zfs yet.
Presumably btrfs will be up to snuff sometime, but it is probably
years away from production still.

Presumably one could mount such a hybrid zfs an iSCSI device, but
that would waste the iSCSI host. Also, the GBit Ethernet would
be a bottleneck (at max 115 MByte/s throughput), so one would
have to use channel bonding and an additional network card.

So I'm thinking about how to use such a hybrid SSD/HD setup manually.
The obvious solutions would be to use the SSD for swap and for /tmp,
and HD for everything else.

Another idea is to get the whole (vhashified) servers to live
there, and mount /home from the conventional hard disk.

Any additional ideas?

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="leitlhttp://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org