Subject: Re: [vserver] Re: Binding broadcast address from guest
From: Richard Lamboj <richard.lamboj@bilcom.at>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:13:51 +0100

 Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:13:51 +0100

Am Monday 22 February 2010 17:50:04 schrieb Bruno Prémont:
> On Mon, 22 February 2010 Eric Deschenes <eric.deschenes@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Sorry for my previous incomplete email...
> >     It seems that the vserver patch is restricting the guest to bind
> > to subnet broadcast (of interfaces bound to it).
> >
> >     I've researched online on this subject and found one similar issue
> > (about multicast) brought up a while back but I have not seen a
> > response to that thread.
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/vserver@list.linux-vserver.org/msg08160.html
> >     I've patched the suggested changes on my setup and it resolved
> > for my issue (broadcast binding).
> >
> >     I was wondering about if this is something on the roadmap and
> > what could be better approaches than the mentioned patch (the
> > original author of that patch was also worried about opening too much)
>
> IMHO it would make more sense to specifically allow your guest to use
> the given broadcast/multicast addresses instead of adjusting
> linux-vserver patch to allow all of them to anybody...
>
> At least that's the way I did it here (subnet broadcast for samba).
>
> I'm not sure how it's handled if multiple apps want to use the same
> broadcast/multicast address with same port (neither mainline nor
> linux-vserver side). This scenario might need some review.
>
> Bruno

Good morning,

we have three Samba PDC Servers on one host, all have the ability to listen on
broadcast and it seems to work. The Samba DFS are also working perfectly.
Almost a dozen Samba Servers and all have the capability for broadcast. Well
i think we could put the whole world into a vserver ;-)

Kind Regards

Richi