Subject: Re: [vserver] Re: Binding broadcast address from guest
From: Bruno Prémont <bonbons@linux-vserver.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:50:04 +0100

On Mon, 22 February 2010 Eric Deschenes <eric.deschenes@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Sorry for my previous incomplete email...
>     It seems that the vserver patch is restricting the guest to bind
> to subnet broadcast (of interfaces bound to it).
>
>     I've researched online on this subject and found one similar issue
> (about multicast) brought up a while back but I have not seen a
> response to that thread.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/vserver@list.linux-vserver.org/msg08160.html
>     I've patched the suggested changes on my setup and it resolved
> for my issue (broadcast binding).
>
>     I was wondering about if this is something on the roadmap and
> what could be better approaches than the mentioned patch (the
> original author of that patch was also worried about opening too much)

IMHO it would make more sense to specifically allow your guest to use
the given broadcast/multicast addresses instead of adjusting
linux-vserver patch to allow all of them to anybody...

At least that's the way I did it here (subnet broadcast for samba).

I'm not sure how it's handled if multiple apps want to use the same
broadcast/multicast address with same port (neither mainline nor
linux-vserver side). This scenario might need some review.

Bruno