Subject: Re: [vserver] Single application per VServer ?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:49:58 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 01:39:35PM +0100, Shinkan wrote:
> Thanks to Corey & Herbert,

> vcontext --xid <something> --create -- /etc/init.d/sshd start
> works nicely.
> Then I can kill it by looking for its pid with
> vps aux (is there another way, like filtering by xid ? --help doesn't tell)
> and typing
> vkill --xid <something> <sshd pid>
> (I hoped that "vcontext --xid <same something> --create -- /etc/init.d/sshd
> stop" would work but nop ...)

> But, I don't really get where it points out.
> As it's surprisingly working "out of the box", I'm wondering
> what is it doing exactly ?

vcontext creates an isolated process context, which
basically separates all processes belonging to that
context (the attribute is inherited) from the host
and other contexts ...

> I mean, it can access every "host" files without any problem...
> what does vcontext limit ?

only the interaction between processes is controlled
by the process context ... it is only a small puzzle
piece in setting up an entire guest :)

> Can I tune this ?

the process context holds a number of attributes itself,
for example the capabilities (b/c) and the flags, as
well as accounting and limits

> What does it bring exactly ?

process isolation

> I tried to read on VServer web site docs, but there's
> nothing about that.

http://linux-vserver.org/Paper
(linked on the main wiki page)