Subject: Re: [vserver] Single application per VServer ?
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:52:00 -0600

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:58:53 +0100
Shinkan <shinkan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was wondering : would it be possible to run one targeted app on one
> VServer (like a simple process isolation) ?

like an application-specific chroot, but with the added functionality of
linux-vserver?

> If so, what is the recommended way to do this (I did not find any howto or
> so) ?

i think vcontext.

over the years people have asked how to scale linux-vserver to hundreds of
vservers and herbert has mentioned running just the needed application
(like you are requesting), and i think he mentioned vcontext, but i can't
currently find any of the emails in the mailing list archive.

> I mean, let's say I want to run Xorg in one VServer, and just that, how
> can I succeed by just knowing "I want to run Xorg on a VServer".
> If Xorg is too special, let's say I want to run a random binary of your
> choice.

yeah, that's a pretty complex example to start with.

> I want to do that to avoid having an almost full-loaded filesystem with
> tools in my VServer.

an alternative, so as to not stray too far from the beaten path (usual use
case of "vserver <name> start" with plethora of online examples), is to
create a regular vserver and strip it down as people have done through the
ages for embedded or appliance usage (ie delete everything but your
application, its dependencies, and an init script).

> Thanks in advance.

hopefully i was either correct enough to point you in the right direction
or wrong enough that somebody will speak up and correct me. ;-)

corey
--
undefined@pobox.com