Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver-guest & VMware/Wine?
From: Martin <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:19:15 +0000

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 19:09 +0100, Jarry wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
> >> is it possible to install and run VMware-workstation or Wine
> >> on vserver-guest? I have some Windows(TM) software I want to
> >> run on my server, so my choice is VMware/workstation or Wine.
> >
> > Wine should run fine as it is just a user space process (caveates about
> > running an XServer on a guest apply, if your display is remote you
> > should be fine).
>
> May I ask which caveates you have in mind? Because I want to run
> xserver on the same vserver-guest, and did not find it listed
> in "Problematic Programs"...

One caveat is that I've never done this so I may not be the best person
to ask, but ... running X.org (I'm guessing this is the X server you
intend) requires quite extensive and intrusive co-operation with the
kernel and hardware.  Setting sufficient capabilities to make this
possible then undermines some of the isolation, stability and security
provided by vserver.

>  > The only problems you are likely to have with VMWare
> > is if it requires a kernel module or special access to kernel features /
> > devices.  If it runs as a normal user space process you should be fine.
>
> VMware is listed in "Problematic Programs" with this info:
>
>  > VMware Server needs the following capabilities to run correctly:
>  > CAP_MKNOD
>  > CAP_SYS_MODULE
>  > CAP_SYS_ADMIN
>  > CAP_SYS_NICE
>  > CAP_NET_RAW
>  > CAP_NET_ADMIN
>  > CAP_IPC_OWNER
>  > WARNING: this configuration reduces security
>
> So probably it could run. And I suppose VMware/workstation is
> not much different from VMware/server.
Should do, you may find there is overlap with the capabilities needed
for an X server.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin