Subject: Re: [vserver] emerg. help needed
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:24:32 +0000

Chuck wrote:

> ok upgrading now then will try a reboot to see... the system also changed the
> compiler from 4.1.2 to 4.3.4 so i am also worrying i may have to recompile
> world .. hope not..

If you search back in the archives I think you will also see that I
posted about the same problem - old util-vserver is no good.

Additionally note that if you are using hardened (probably not if you
were previously on gcc 4.1) then you will need to bump dietlibc to avoid
segfaults.

If you upgrade gcc, then it's a good idea to do an "emerge -eav system"
at least - there is an upgrade guide on the gentoo site covering this in
great detail though.

I recently started using a custom profile in conjunction with vservers
and it's working really nicely.  Additionally I had been creating bin
packages in all vservers and combined with a more rigorous package.use
profile I get really good benefit from this - one vserver is a test and
gets upgraded first, then all the others pretty much upgrade super fast
and additionally if you wanted to use vhashify it should work nicely.
Just remember you need "--newuse -k" in order to use binary packages and
yet force it to recompile if the use flags don't match

Good luck

Ed W